A pitchmark only takes a few seconds to fix correctly however, a pitchmark repaired incorrectly takes over 3 weeks to heal
It has been noted that we are seeing more and more pitchmarks not repaired or those which are, are repaired incorrectly.
Please study the diagrams below on how to correctly repair pitchmarks. Correct repair will help protect the grass root system and benefit all members and visitors to the course.
How to repair a pitchmark on a green
1. Discard the loose piece of turf taken out by the ball
2. Insert the pitchmark repairer tool just outside of the back of the pitchmark
3. Lever the turf towards the centre of the pitchmark
4. Repeat this motion from all sides of the pitchmark
5. Gently tap the repaired area with your putter. This action stretches undamaged turf over the pitchmark, providing instant recovery
1. DO NO replace the loose piece of turf taken out by the ball. It will die and delay the healing process.
2. DO NOT pry up the centre of the depression with the pitchmark repairer as it exposes the soil and will delay the healing process
3. DO NOT insert the pitchmark repairer and twist it. This only breaks more turf loose
If we can all do our best to repair our pitchmark plus one other whenever we are on the greens it will ensure the greens repair themselves much quicker giving us all a better putting surface.